Folks, as you may have realized, I’ve been on a bit of an unannounced hiatus.
Most of this has been because I’ve been traveling.
I’ll get back to regularly posting shortly, but in the meantime, I wanted to leave you with this beautiful photograph of a house I spotted en route to Koh Phi Phi Leh, from Koh Phi Phi Don.
Some facts for you, regarding Phi Phi, and Thai islands, generally:
1. It’s actually pronounced as pea pea.
2. The island featured in the movie, “The Beach,” which is based on Alex Garland’s book of the same name.
3. Due to the excessive hedonism and marijuana smoking portrayed in the film, travelers started to abuse lenient Thai authorities’ take on pot on the island, hence leading to some serious bans on drugs in Thailand. Talk about nation branding being influenced by pop culture? I think there’s an essay waiting to be written here.
4. Phi Phi actually consists of two islands- Phi Phi Don, which is the larger island, and Phi Phi Leh, which is where the film was shot.
5. It takes 2 hours by boat from Krabi to get to Phi Phi Don. You definitely should plan to stay overnight. You’re in the Andaman Sea, after all!
6. Koh in Thai means island.